Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Wonderful Wednesday

We are back on keel, I think. The lesson learned yesterday is that unscheduled early morning training rides can lead to a disruption in the rhythm of the day that takes significant effort to regain.

I woke with this song caught in my head and it has stayed with me all day:

The Wedding Song (There is Love)
by Noel (Paul) Stookey

He is now to be among you at the calling of your hearts
Rest assured this troubadour is acting on His part

The union of your spirits, here, has caused Him to remain
For whenever two or more of you are gathered in His name
There is love, there is love

A man shall leave his mother and a woman leave her home
And they shall travel on to where the two shall be as one

As it was in the beginning is now and 'til the end
Woman draws her life from man and gives it back again
And there is Love, there is love

Well then what's to be the reason for becoming man and wife?
Is it love that brings you here or love that brings you life?

And if loving is the answer then who's the giving for?
Do you believe in something that you've never seen before?
Oh there's love, there is love

Oh, the marriage of your spirits here has caused Him to remain
For whenever two or more of you are gathered in His name
There is love, there is love

I first heard this song as a child, at a wedding in the 70s most certainly. I have always found it magical.


This is probably highly mushy, but watching Paul sing the song (thank you YouTube!) the line Woman draws her life from man and gives it back again resonated deeply with me, so much so that I think I need to do a chalkboard for it, or a watercolor. Maybe both, a chalkboard today and watercolor pencils later.

Why that line in particular? After all, usually my focus is love, and I am moved by the feeling of love in the song.  However, having spent more than half my life married to the same man (hmm, I can do the math ... it's 58% of my life so far) I understand so well the concept of drawing my life from my love and giving it back to him; it is a perfect metaphor for a long lasting relationship. (Like I said, rather mushy!)

***I woke up super itchy this morning with no hope of falling back to sleep, and offered a silent prayer that it would be no earlier than 4 a.m. To my delight it was 5:38. Thank you!

***After the sunrise the western sky took on the sweetest baby pink tint across the clouds. It was quietly breathtaking and made me smile. Thank you!

***I had put cornmeal/brown rice mush on to cook in the ricer cooker, and it was a perfect breakfast for this morning. Thank you!

***Our main meal turned out terrifically.  Black beans, quinoa, butternut squash, roasted broccoli, and cabbage salad.  It was well-received by my family, and I may have a new favorite meal. Thank you!

***My sweet Puppy Girl is feeling better and was such a love today. Thank you!

***It was beautifully warm today -- short-sleeves warm. Thank you!

***We sold my mountain bike. Thank you!

***It is visibly evident now that the days are lengthening and I so enjoy the light as it lingers a little longer every evening. Thank you!

(Disclaimer: I know that marriage isn't the only way for people to form relationships and families, but it is the way I have chosen. I could carefully refer to only partnerships vs. marriage, but marriage is my reality and it is one that I cherish and believe in deeply. As for what I mean by marriage, I suppose that it undefined. To me it is a deep commitment, a daily promise, and a setting aside of self. It doesn't matter what the government says about it, but I do believe in the public proclamation and witnesses (and I wish this for all couples of all genders and sexual orientations). To me it means I will not leave you, I will not give up, I promise that I will do everything within my power to make this work. I believe in us. To me there are very few true deal breakers, and periods of personal unhappiness don't count. After this many years I can look back and see an entire year of disconnection and sadness for what it was, something we lived through, and not as a reason to move on. My goodness, how terrible it would have been if we had given up!)

No comments:

Post a Comment